

Twilight mania has hit my household. Susanne my soon to be 11y/o daughter convinced her father to buy her the first of the 4 book series just before Christmas. I had no idea at the time that it was going to turn into an obsession and not just for Susanne.
Although she loves books, Susanne has never been a strong reader and looking at the large novel proped in her lap I was skeptical that the story would hold her attention through the 498 pages. I was very proud of her when after 2 weeks of reading during every free moment she completed her very first real novel. To celebrate I took her to see the movie. I was surprised to see the theatre crowded since the movie had been out for several weeks already.
Well, this is way more than a teenage vampire movie. The story is about passion, and attraction and forbidden love. Yes, corny perhaps but just what every girl (and woman) wants in her life.
So, I admit that I've read the first book and part of the second (when I can sneek it away from Susanne) and I can't even tell you how many conversations I've had with Susanne about the characters who have somehow come to life. My husband and youngest son just roll their eyes at us when we start talking about what the future could hold for Bella and Edward.
For Susanne's birthday party we have of course decided upon a Twilight theme. Black, Red and white decorations. Blood dripped goblets, bracelet making and a sleepover with a life sized Edward cut out.


I had no clue that there was such a huge following for this series of books. I was quite amazed when I started the research for the party. For girls (and women) at least it gives the Harry Potter series a real run for its money. It doesn't hurt that the male lead in the movie is none other than Robert Pattinson who played Cedric Diggory in the Goblet of Fire. Who I'm not too embarassed to say grew up to be quite the steamy guy even though I'm old enough to be his mother (but we won't go into that gruesome detail).So, after only one week after entering into the lives of Edward and Bella of Forks Washington I find myself totally obsessed with them. I must admit that yes, I'm a Twilight Mom, and yes I love Edward Cullen, but don't tell my husband.


It is so great that Susanne has found her way into the "escapism" of novels and now you two share an obsession that gives you something to relate to your tween over. Don't forget to send me the books when you two are done! I promise to return them!
ReplyDelete